MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Liberals are bad for the Economy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Liberals are bad for the Economy Reply with quote

The Meme: Liberals are bad for the Economy

Here's another Right-wing "Truth Inversion": that leftists are getting more from our Capitalist system more than they contribute to it. Our guest prevaricator today is William Stepp, who illustrates:

Quote:
"The complaints came from the usual left-wing beneficiaries of capitalism..."

...As though left wingers are somehow extracting more from the capitalist system than they put in. Excuse me? Lets get a few facts straight.

The left, as represented by "Blue" states, contributes far more money to this country and demands far less than Red states. Seven of the top ten most productive states are Blue, but nine of the ten worst "Welfare states" are Red. If the country was run like a business (as Wingnuts love to demand) then the first thing we'd do is cut loose the money-loosing red state and send them all to the unemployment lines....oh wait, they're ALREADY in the unemployment lines....

By any economic metric, Blue states are much bigger contributors than Reds. Red states burden the economy with runaway Crime, Divorce, and Teenage pregnancy.

Clearly the folks who drive production and economic growth are generally progressive. On the other hand, brokers and speculators (who produce nothing, instead siphoning money from others) are more likely to be right wingers. And clearly right-wing economic policies like reductions in capital gains, windfall profits, and "Silver Spoon" (inheritance) taxes are a free pass for those who take money while contributing nothing.

It seems the real "beneficiaries of capitalism", in the sense of expecting something for nothing, are the right wingers. Blues states not only pull their share and prop up the Red states financially, but in other ways too. (f-word alert!)

Obviously if Blue states want to expose sweatshops (the object of stepp's whining) or raise minimum wages, they have earned the right. They invented our system and they make it run. If Lefties like fair labor practices, maybe it's because they're the ones working.

The antidote for this Meme? Memorize a few of the statistics on Red state mooching and Blue state production. Think about what personal contributions you might have made to the national product. Do you run a small business? Do honest labor? Make or teach something useful? Be clear how that helps America more than Ken Lay's thieving, or the Bush family propping up Nazi Germany. Then the next time someone tries to sneak this vile Meme into the discussion, immediately and forcefully point out that leftists carry this economy. And back it up with the proof.

Note:
There's also variants of this Meme regarding defense and crime - as though leftists are somehow soft on these things. As with the economy, I'm sure a little research will reveal that lefties actually reduce crime (as under Clinton) and strengthen us militarily (unlike the BushCo chickenhawks).

KimCooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Business also uses more of the things our government pays for than workers do: the vast majority of court time is business law. Most of the use of the interstate highways is trucking (more wear and tear on it from trucks). Most of the pollution is produced by industry because most of the energy use is by commercial enterprises. The courts, the interstate highways, the energy subsidies -- all paid for by us, through taxes. Big Business wants to get out of paying taxes.

As far as lefties reducing crime: according to Freakonomics, increasing police is responsible for 10% of the reduction in crime when there was the last big drop. Most of the rest of the drop is attributable to Roe V. Wade having been ruled on about 20 years earlier. (thus proving that women who try to get abortions know what they are doing.)

Unfortunately, memorizing statistics to prove that liberals are better for the economy isn't going to cut it. It's those two word memes that work -- and getting them out there.

GOP spending versus Dem investing
war spending versus investing in people
playing soldier versus supporting our own country
cheating the middle class versus fairness for the middle class
punishing the poor versus helping the poor
frivolous spending versus investing in ourselves
spending on war versus spending on us
well-armed poverty versus peace and prosperity

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Bush Economy. Reply with quote

You're right Kim, I don't know what came over me. Memorizing statistics does not help. I forgot why I started this site.

I've been using the term "Bush Economy" since 2000 to describe an economy with high unemployment, runaway spending Corporate Welfare and huge deficits.

I guess I can just say Bush Economy vs Clinton Economy. Even the most die-hard Neocons know the score on that one.

Bbut that does not address my original point, that left-wingers, on a person by person basis, contribute more to the economy than right-wingers.

Simplified: working progressives and free-loading wingnuts.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: usury Reply with quote

didn't the bible have something to say about earning without working is evil? Isn't that why some people consider charging interest to be usury?

KimCooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the theocons mean is that they think Peace and Prosperity is bad for the economy. Go figure....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Examine Old Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: