MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

need help with sermon topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimCooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: need help with sermon topics Reply with quote

I have to have three or four suggestions for sermon topics for a meeting next Saturday.
I have thought of one (it's part of a series on "difficult words for UUs" the word is "morals"), but I am having trouble thinking of any others.
Unless I can come up with some practical questions for dealing with "diversity".
Anyway, since I'm such a loud-mouth here I figure you guys know me pretty well, so I am asking you for suggestions for sermon topics. I don't have to give the sermon, though I can if I want. Usually, I get 3 to 5 minutes to give a "pulpit reflection" on the topic, and the minister does the sermon. She rarely says what I expect.
It's Unitarian-Universalist, so I can say whatever I want as long as it makes logical sense.
thanks for suggestions,
--Kim

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: my favorite religious joke Reply with quote

Given how often I'm accused of preaching I'm surprised that I can't think of much. But maybe you can do something with my favorite religious joke.

--------------------------------------------

A religious man lived downstream from a huge dam which one day began to leak, threatening to flood his town. As he watched the water raising in his street, a big National Guard truck came by. The Guardsman said "A flood is coming! Pack some things and we'll take you to safety!.

The religious man said "NO! I have faith that my God will save me." The Guardsman shrugged and drove off.

The water rose, and the religious man had to climb up to his roof. A motorboat came by and the boater yelled "This flood is going to get worse! jump on in and I'll take you to safety".

The religious man said "NO! I have faith that my God will save me." The boat puttered off.

The water rose some more, and now the religious man was perched atop his chimney. Nothing else was above water for miles around. A helicopter flew over and lowered a rope ladder, yelling "Climb up! I'll take you to safety".

The religious man said "NO! I have faith that my God will save me." The chopper flew off.

The water rose some more and the religious man drowned.

Once dead and in Heaven, the man was furious. "I demand to see God! he said. I was devout all my live and he let me drown". He was taken to God, and repeated his complaint.

And God said: "Well, I sent you a truck, a boat, and a Helicopter...."

--------------------------------------------

Obviously, the point is that the things we want form our spiritual programs don't always take the form we might expect. We have to be open minded about what's really the work of God.

Hope this helps, -JB-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: