MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

books: reviews and recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimCooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: books: reviews and recommendations Reply with quote

I thought we might start a thread about books.
I am reading several now, but the one I particularly wish to commend to you is
The Culture Code
by Clotaire Rapaille.

It is about the underlying unconscious image our culture gives us of various things. This author has developed a method for devising the "culture code" for various things, and has been doing so, for large amounts of money, for corporations, and politicos such as George Bush the elder when he was running. He is retained by half the Fortune 100 companies. They believe in what he is doing. He is talented. His stuff seem frighteningly accurate.
we are thinking of taking a course from him....

tcanfield

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

I am currently reading The Texas Connection by Craig Zirbel, which was printed in 1991. The premise of the book was the Lyndon Johnson and his fellow Texans were responsible for the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It points out that in any criminal investigation, the first questions are,"Who had a motive? Who had opportunity?" Of course, no one dared suggest that President Johnson had motive and opportunity. Considering the fact that he guided the Warren Commission in its cover-up, the theory seems very plausible. What is really frightening is that the book makes Lyndon Johnson seem so evil, G.W. Bush, Tom Delay, and other GOP Texans seem like pussycats in comparison.
Back in the 1960's, the only person who suggested Johnson might be responsible was a radical author named Barbara Garson. She wrote a play that was produced in New York called "MacBird", in which she adapted Shakespeare's MacBeth to fit the situation of the Johnson administration. It was considered to be a satire at the time, but after reading this book, I wonder if the truth of the matter was closer than anyone thought.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds pretty heavy. I am sending your rec to my partner, who is more knowledgable about that sort of thing than I am.

The other books I am currently reading are:

Unequal Protection: the Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights by Thom Hartmann

Being Right is Not Enough: What Progressives Must Learn from Conservative Success by Paul Waldman

How Would a Patriot Act?: Defending American Values from a President Run Amok by Glenn Greenwald

Getting On Message: Challenging the Christian Right from the Heart of the Gospel Edited by Rev. Peter Laarman

and I am rereading Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples by Harville Hendrix

and i have just finished rereading Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity by Bruce Bawer

The one I am making most progress on is Being Right is not Enough, which is brilliant and easy to read and somewhat hopeful. How Would a Patriot Act I got bogged down in because, though well written and interesting, it's depresssing. Unequal Protection is on hold, because I am overcommitted, but I am definitely going to read the rest of it. Getting on Message is essays, so I've read some, but will get back to the rest of them.
Harville Hendrix is the best relationship stuff I've found -- I'm rereading, sortof skimming, it because I insisted a friend of mine read it while she's at camp because her relationship is stuck. His book for singles is even better -- especially for those of us who like a good analysis.
Stealing Jesus is one anyone who is interested in religion, and how it is influencing American life, should read.
Now, I just need to spend less time on this darned computer....

KimCooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a book, but a blog. It has two people posting on it, and Sara Robinson, one of them, is absolutely magnificent. I highly recommend you go back and read her series on how the Religious Right people think. The blog is called Orcinus.
Here's a link:

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/

KimCooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you looked at The Culture Code, or Sara Robinson's writings at Orcinus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: