MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Christianity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimCooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Christianity Reply with quote

In another forum, someone is saying that where the religious left goes wrong is in not acknowledging the dark side of human nature.
Now, I have issues with that, which I addressed there, but what I want to question here is: If humans have a "dark side" that is big and important, and humans are made in the image of God, does God have a big important "dark side" too?
Is organized religion the dark side of God?
Is Satan the dark side of God? Thus making Satanism a legitimate worship of God?
Is Fundamentalism worship of the dark side of God?

By the way, the other forum I mentioned is a Yahoo group that developed from the discussion group at Rockridge Forum -- check it out:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuildingTheBelovedCommunity/

tcanfield

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Religious Left Reply with quote

Speaking as a member of the Religious Left, there is acknowledgement of the dark side of human nature, and an acceptance that it is part of human nature. The problem with the Religious Right is that they see the dark side of human nature as something external. In other words, the deadly sins such as Lust, Anger, Gluttony, etc. are seen as being outside of human experience, and caused by demons, evil spirits, and Satan himself. It took nearly 2000 before a fellow like Freud came along to show that Lust was part of the human condition, and so are some of the other "Dark" attributes. Of course, the Religious Right takes it upon themselves to determine what is a sin and what is not. When I watch evangelists stir themselves up into a sweaty fury over Gay marriages, Abortions, and Secular Humanists, I have to ask the question,"Isn't Anger a Sin? Aren't these evangelists acting like rage-a-holics trying to get others angry as well?" Also, I notice there are a lot of evangelists with thick waistlines, and I wonder if the demon of Gluttony is effecting them as well. What about Pride? Is there an evangelist without a make-up team? Anyway, the Religious Left is not going to accuse them of demonic possession. We just see it as the nature of humanity.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: theocracy Reply with quote

I just heard an interview on the radio with a professor (Catholic school) advocating for theocracy in America.
He obviously didn't know the history of theocracy (thinking of Cromwell in England -- 7 or 8 years is all that lasted, but it was bloody!).
It's horrible that a professor in 21st century USA could think like that.
Theocracy ruins both the government and the religion. Ruining our education system in this country certainly has done its work for the right wingnuts.

tcanfield

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Christian Taliban Reply with quote

What is really frightening is that there are members of the military who are in favor of Theocracy. Check out this chilling article:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/050307F.shtml

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: