MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Unpatriotic Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Unpatriotic Schools Reply with quote

Is there a meme loose that public schools are somehow unpatriotic? Last year my children's schools was in the news when 3000 Wingnuts called in threatening messages in reaction to a Sean Hannity hoax that the school had somehow banned the Declaration of Independence.

One of the hardest things for me to accept was that anyone could be so stupid as to believe this. I've lived in five Blue States and visited most parts of this country, and I've never met a teacher or school official that I could imagine doing such a thing. What madness made this lie seem so plausible to 3000 people that they felt compelled to harass the school?

It must be some lie, some false Meme, planted in the culture, but which one? Who started it? How do they spread it?

Any ideas?

-JB-

Last edited by jbartas on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:03 am; edited 3 times in total
tcanfield

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Godless schools Reply with quote

I think it started when Madelyn Murray O'Hair got prayers taken out of public schools. The propaganda put forward was that public schools were "godless", and to protect children they should be taken out and put into church schools, with the help of vouchers. The mindset was that making students go through rituals like prayer or the Pledge of Allegiance gave them moral discipline and helped them structure their lives. Those students who did not take part in such citizenship rituals were likely to become dope-smoking juvenile delinquents. Anyway, this business about "the pledge of allegiance" will just add to the donneybrook. The right-wing has been out to destroy the department of Education for years, because they have to prove government can't do anything right. This issue gives them another bullet for their revolver. They want private, faith-based schools to get all the support.

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Didn't work for me :-) Reply with quote

As a child I was forced to pray and say the pledge, and I still went through a phase as a dope smoking delinquent. So did many of my peers. Anybody with any brains figures out as a teenager that the anti-drug and pro-prayer messages from the schools and churchs are larded up with untruths and hypocrisy. Once that is obvious, you question everything.

As a result, millions of American teenagers have rebelled since the 1950s, and had to find their own moral compass later in life. Some died, some became Fundies, some ended up in rehab. We'd have a lot less teenage rebellion we were more honest with our children.

But more to the point, I guess you are saying the unpatriotic schools meme is an outgrowth of the Religious Right's attack on the schools. This consistent with our experience in Cupertino. When the ADF bought time on the Hannity and Whatsizname show they knew that complaining that an "Inverted Christian" (thanks Kim!) teacher was not allowed to preach in the classroom would not rile up many people, so they made up a total falsehood about the Declaration of Independence being banned. This got the wingnuts out. Their whole PR blitz thereafter tried to entangle their perverted Inversion of Jesus' teachings with American patriotism.

I guess there is no reason to think this is a new meme. If the religious right has indeed been pumping this for years it would explain a lot.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Inverted Christian Reply with quote

I used the phrase "inverted Christian" this evening. The person I was talking to looked puzzled and said, "Inverted Christian?" I said, "Because they believe the opposite of what Jesus said." and she got it before I finished the sentence --nodding and smiling/laughing. maybe that phrase will catch on....

tcanfield

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Another reason to despise Bill O'Reilly Reply with quote

Media Matters is reporting that Bill O'Reilly is urging people to send donations to the ADF as an alternative to supporting the ACLU. Of course, he does not mention the role of the ADF in the failed lawsuit in Cupertino.
You can check out the story by going to the Media Matters link:
http://mediamatters.org/items/200510140005
Some commentators refer to him as Bill "O'Really?", because his statements need to be treated with a certain amount of skepticism. There are times when he will make a statement, but never follow up on it, and people are left to wonder if it is true or not. A few times he has predicted the demise of Air America Radio, but the network is still alive and growing.

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcanfield wrote:
Quote:
The right-wing has been out to destroy the department of Education for years,

I posted the following under "government inefficiency", and just realized that it's very relevant here too. It's "smoking gun" proof of what Tom was saying.-JB-

"Religious Inverts deliberately sabotaging government from the inside is very real, and has been rampant for years. The proof is in this quote by Bill Bennett. Mr. Bennett is a famous "religious right" flack, gambling addict and bigot. This apparently qualified him for a post as Secretary of Education under Ronald Reagan. Read what he said to Reed Hundt, former Chairman of the FCC:

Quote:
At any rate, since Mr. Bennett had been Secretary of Education I asked him to support the bill in the crucial stage when we needed Republican allies. He told me he would not help, because he did not want public schools to obtain new funding, new capability, new tools for success. He wanted them, he said, to fail so that they could be replaced with vouchers,charter schools, religious schools, and other forms of private education.

Bottom line, Reagan put a Religious Invert in charge of America's Schools whose real agenda was for the public schools to fail so he could boost religious schools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Examine Old Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: