MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

"Belief Tank"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: "Belief Tank" Reply with quote

Todays new meme is "Belief Tank", from this morning's Sunday Doonesbury comic. It's defined as "...like a think tank, only without the doubt".

For those who have not studied the so-called "think tanks", they are groups which are assigned a few specific political ideas, and then funded to got out and develop the arguments for their target ideas. Think tanks are usually very conservative, and are assigned simplistic conservative memes, such as "Taxes are bad","Capitalism is good", etc. Public discourse is then infected with the output from Think Tanks is via Neocon owned media like Fox, Clearchannel and Sinclair Broadcasting.

A short list of the worst offenders follows the cartoon. "Belief Tank" describes them perfectly!

Famouse Belief Tanks:

For all-around Neocon cheerleading, it's hard to beat Hertitage: http://www.heritage.org

Neocon economic propoganda is provided by Cato: http://www.cato.org

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: "Randroid" Reply with quote

Kim dug up the term "Randroid" as a term for 'droids working for another well known Belief Tank, The RAND Corporation.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting:
I was thinking of "randroid" as referring to followers of the political philosophy of Ayn Rand, that is, Libertarians.

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm... Reply with quote

Having read the original post, I Suspect you're right - the writer meant Ayn Rand, not RAND corp. I've never read any Ayn Rand, although I've been meaning to read "Atlas Shrugged" for years. If I were going to blame a Belief Tank for mindless promoting of "Free Markets" I would think of Cato before RAND.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The novels make good "summer reading" -- especially if you skip the occasional long philosphy lecture. However, if you are reading it for the philosophy, you need to read at least one of the long diatribes....

One of the telling things about randian philosophy is shown in the novels: the characters are divided into "good", supremely competant, flawless people with wealth and luck, versus "bad" incompetant people who got their wealth and position dishonestly. There appears an occasional normal person, with normal abilities and honesty: that character invariably commits suicide.
I took the novels as a recommendation to suicide. I declined. (even when I was depressed: she's that unconvincing!)
They're fun stories though.

KimCooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Did you read it? Reply with quote

jbartas -- did you ever get around to reading any Rand? What did you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Create New Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: