MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Conservatives favor smaller government (??)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Conservatives favor smaller government (??) Reply with quote

I've always liked the idea that less government is better. A Republican friend recently made a comment to the effect that the Republicans have traditionally been the party of smaller government. Reagan said it, Dubya said it, some think it's written in the Bible; but I started wondering. I figured the best way to measure "less government" was by the amount the government spends, relative to the GDP. I found the government link below, downloaded the second spreadsheet (1930-2009), and generated the graph attached for Federal spending as a percentage of GDP.

Data Source: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy05/hist.html

It turns out the Democrats are consistently much lower spenders than the GOP. Especially Bill Clinton, shrinking spending for EIGHT YEARS RUNNING, followed by Dubya's exploding spending for four years running (so far). Even the excuses ("well, Clinton had 8 years of strong economic growth to make his numbers look better" or "well, Dubya led us into a major depression and two huge wars") make the Dems look good.

So it seems the champion of the most conservative of values - conservative spending - is the Democratic party. They don't talk as loud, but they get it right where it counts.

Feel free to pass this along to any Republicans you know who think today's GOP is "Conservative".

I'm looking for help with the best phrase under which to to index this. My best idea is this posting;s subject line. Suggestions are welcome.

gravitylove

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I came up with:

EZ Money Republicans

Big Spending Republicash

Budget Buster Republicans

Gives Out like Playmoney (GOP)

Greedy Old People

Got Our Payments

Deficits R Us

That's all for now...

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: closely related article Reply with quote

A closely related article on "Starve the Beast" (almost the same topic) is here:
http://www.memepolice.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=446#446

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Examine Old Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: