MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

on criticizing a "sin"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimCooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: on criticizing a "sin" Reply with quote

I just found this paragraph over on "Slacktivist", posted by someone called Perry:

In his book "Surprised by Joy" C.S. Lewis said people asked him why he never spoke out against buggery. Apparantly he spoke against many sins except for buggery and I think gambling. His reply was that he did not feel qualified to speak against an activity he had never been tempted to engage in. He went on to confirm that this meant that he had been tempted by all the sins that he had spoken against.

I think that's a really good meme to put out there -- one (or anyone) is not qualified to criticize any sin one hasn't been tempted by.
Is there a way to say it shortly?
Perhaps we should start asking, "And what qualifies you to make pronouncements on being homosexual? Are you saying you have this temptation yourself?" and so on....

tcanfield

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: William Bennett Reply with quote

This bit about not judging certain temptations reminds me of the story about William Bennett, the self-righteous author of "The Book of Virtues." When it was revealed that Bennett had a major gambling addiction, some reporters asked how this fit in with the teachings in "The Book of Virtues." Bennett's response was that he had not denounced gambling in the book, and therefore it was okay for him to gamble. Al Franken's response to that was to point out that Bennett had not denounced Bestiality, either. Therefore, it must be okay for William Bennett to practice Bestiality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: