MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Facism in America

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Facism in America Reply with quote

An old Meme, now coming true

Quote:
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross". -Sinclair Lewis

Many progressive American thinkers take it as an article of faith that America is sinking into fascism. The current (2005) Bush Regime in particular is often accused of fascist tactics. However there are conservatives who don't accept this (fewer every day), and sometimes the more thoughtful among them ask for evidence. Although many of us feel that collecting evidence of Bush's fascism is belaboring the obvious, it's fair for conservatives to ask for it. Their motives for asking vary, but I believe there are a few who, if faced with a compelling collection of dispassionate evidence that Bush's actions and policies are indeed fascist, will withdraw their support. This posting is for them.

First, define fascism:

The Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language, College Edition, 1966, defines fascism as :
Quote:

"a system of government characterized by rigid one-party dictatorship, forcible suppression of the opposition (unions, other, especially leftist, parties, minority groups, etc), the retention of private ownership of the means of production under centralized governmental control, belligerent nationalism and racism, glorification of war, etc."

Of course to site specific examples, a more detailed definition would help. Ideally with each of fascism's characteristics separately defined and numbered. Fortunately in his essay "Fascism Anyone?" Dr. Lawrence W. Brit does exactly that. The numbers used throughout the remainder of this post are from that essay.

While you really should read the whole article, Here are the 14 basic characteristics :
    1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism.
    2. Disdain for the importance of human rights.
    3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause.
    4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism.
    5. Rampant sexism.
    6. A controlled mass media.
    7. Obsession with national security.
    8. Religion and ruling elite tied together.
    9. Power of corporations protected.
    10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated.
    11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts
    12. Obsession with crime and punishment.
    13. Rampant cronyism and corruption.
    14. Fraudulent elections.

Second, Give Specific Examples

This is the part of the posting is just selected items. We only have 10 Gigs of disk space, so we can't cover everything. I've started us out with the first few example I thought of of, but the list is by no means exhaustive. I'm hoping other readers will suggest their own examples. Please provide links to verify the item, and state which fascist principle number is exhibited.

Current list:

Unauthorized wiretapping in violation of FISA (#7)
"Strip Search Sammy" Alito thanks religious Invert James Dobson for SCOTUS post (#8)
Fox News, Clearchannel, Sinclair (#6)
Claiming to know "God's will". (#8)
Diebold & Sequoia (#14)

From time to time I'll go back and add my favorite submissions to the list. Now find that fascism we've all been so disgusted with, and turn it in to the Memepolice!

For further evidence & inspiration, see also:
http://www.spectrumz.com/z/fair_use/2004/09_21.html
http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm
http://blondesense.blogspot.com/2005/05/fascism-anyone-reminder.html

KimCooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that list is pretty scary -- because it sounds so familiar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Examine Old Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: