MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Pat Tillman, American Hero

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Pat Tillman, American Hero Reply with quote

This old meme was started by the supporters of the War in Iraq, but the more I learn, the truer it seems.

Perhaps the most overlooked ingredient in a real hero is respect for the truth. When I first heard of Pat Tillman, I guessed he might be just a dumb jock-jarhead, who made the naive (and in his case fatal) mistake of believing the lies of "Dubya" Bush. Then I remembered that right after 9-11, about the time Tillman signed up, I too looked into joining the military; only to discover I was too old. That memory caused me to cut Tillman a bit of slack. How many patriotic kids signed up to fight for America after 9-11, only to be betrayed by BushCo and sent to kill people in a country that had nothing to do with terrorism?

With the opening of the fifth investigation in Tillman's death by "freindly fire", and the cover-ups and lies that immediately followed, I learned that Tillman was also a stereotype shattering scholar and on-the-record opponent of the BushCo Iraq War. It seems he was not only willing to risk his life fighting for his country, but willing to risk it again (and ultimately lose it) speaking the truth.

It may just be a coincidence that as Tillman became a potential embarrassment to Bush, he was inexplicably killed by US troops. Most Americans just won't accept that the President would order the murder of a hero for political reasons, so we will probably never know if Tillman was killed by direct orders from Bush and his henchmen, or indirectly due to their other crimes.

Either way, he was truly a hero, learning and speaking the truth to the end. Here's some facts from his friends and family:

Excerpts from
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/09/25/MNGD7ETMNM1.DTL&type=printable

Quote:
"Baer, who served with Tillman for more than a year in Iraq and Afghanistan, told one anecdote that took place during the March 2003 invasion as the Rangers moved up through southern Iraq.

“I can see it like a movie screen,” Baer said. “We were outside of (a city in southern Iraq) watching as bombs were dropping on the town. We were at an old air base, me, Kevin and Pat, we weren’t in the fight right then. We were talking. And Pat said, ‘You know, this war is so f— illegal.’ And we all said, ‘Yeah.’ That’s who he was. He totally was against Bush.”

Quote:
"He started keeping a journal at 16 and continued the practice on the battlefield, writing in it regularly. (His journal was lost immediately after his death.) Mary Tillman said a friend of Pat’s even arranged a private meeting with Chomsky, the antiwar author, to take place after his return from Afghanistan — a meeting prevented by his death. She said that although he supported the Afghan war, believing it justified by the Sept. 11 attacks, “Pat was very critical of the whole Iraq war.”

KimCooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a bit suspicious that his journal was lost just after he was killed by friendly fire?

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I suspect the Army couldn't "loose" that journal fast enough.

I don't know much about this case - my best source so far is the SFGate article linked above. But what I read makes me want to yell "Where are all the Conspiracy theorists when you need them??!!".

Here are the things that immediately occur to my nonmilitary (and maybe not paranoid enough) mind:

Q: Why was Tillman's group ordered to split up and travel during daylight, in violation of Army practice and common sense?
    A: Create the required chaos for a secret shooter to kill him.

Q: Why, after taking several shots in his body armor and standing up to identify himself, was Tillman shot in the forehead three times? Friendly fire should have stopped when the shooter(s) saw who he was.
    A: At least one shooter already knew who he was shooting.

Q: Why was Tillman's body armor burned?
    A: So no one could tell if the same shooter hit his armor and his head.

Q: Why did highly trained Army Rangers fire so many shots at their own comrade?
    A: They didn't - someone else was there.

Q: And of course, the journal.....

I'm not saying these answers are true, but given the implications if they are, I'm very glad a criminal investigation has finally started. I just hope it's not the same old cover-up they tried to pull before, and instead goes up the chain up command as high as it has to to get the real killer.

gravitylove

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

But the sick thing, is that it doesn't surprise me.

=GL

gravitylove

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: One more thing... Reply with quote

...do they think that they can kill us all? The more they do to protestors of the war, the worse their punishment will be once this whole thing flips (once critical mass is reached). I think "critical mass" is pretty darn close.

It's gonna be a tsunami... Wink

=GL

jbartas
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Kevin Tillman finally speaks out. Reply with quote

Kevin Tillman, brother and brother-in-arms of the famous NFL star turned soldier Pat Tillman, finally speaks out.

This is from From http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200601019_after_pats_birthday
I hope no one minds if I reprint the whole thing.

After Pat’s Birthday

By Kevin Tillman <http://www.truthdig.com/about/staff/86>

Editor’s note: Kevin Tillman joined the Army with his brother Pat in 2002, and they served together in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pat was killed in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. Kevin, who was discharged in 2005, has written a powerful, must-read document.

It is Pat’s birthday on November 6, and elections are the day after. It gets me thinking about a conversation I had with Pat before we joined the military. He spoke about the risks with signing the papers. How once we committed, we were at the mercy of the American leadership and the American people. How we could be thrown in a direction not of our volition. How fighting as a soldier would leave us without a voice… until we got out.

Much has happened since we handed over our voice:

Somehow we were sent to invade a nation because it was a direct threat to the American people, or to the world, or harbored terrorists, or was involved in the September 11 attacks, or received weapons-grade uranium from Niger, or had mobile weapons labs, or WMD, or had a need to be liberated, or we needed to establish a democracy, or stop an insurgency, or stop a civil war we created that can’t be called a civil war even though it is. Something like that.

Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.

Somehow our elected leaders were subverting international law and humanity by setting up secret prisons around the world, secretly kidnapping people, secretly holding them indefinitely, secretly not charging them with anything, secretly torturing them. Somehow that overt policy of torture became the fault of a few “bad apples” in the military.

Somehow back at home, support for the soldiers meant having a five-year-old kindergartener scribble a picture with crayons and send it overseas, or slapping stickers on cars, or lobbying Congress for an extra pad in a helmet. It’s interesting that a soldier on his third or fourth tour should care about a drawing from a five-year-old; or a faded sticker on a car as his friends die around him; or an extra pad in a helmet, as if it will protect him when an IED throws his vehicle 50 feet into the air as his body comes apart and his skin melts to the seat.

Somehow the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes.

Somehow American leadership, whose only credit is lying to its people and illegally invading a nation, has been allowed to steal the courage, virtue and honor of its soldiers on the ground.

Somehow those afraid to fight an illegal invasion decades ago are allowed to send soldiers to die for an illegal invasion they started.

Somehow faking character, virtue and strength is tolerated.

Somehow profiting from tragedy and horror is tolerated.

Somehow the death of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people is tolerated.

Somehow subversion of the Bill of Rights and The Constitution is tolerated.

Somehow suspension of Habeas Corpus is supposed to keep this country safe.

Somehow torture is tolerated.

Somehow lying is tolerated.

Somehow reason is being discarded for faith, dogma, and nonsense.

Somehow American leadership managed to create a more dangerous world.

Somehow a narrative is more important than reality.

Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.

Somehow the most reasonable, trusted and respected country in the world has become one of the most irrational, belligerent, feared, and distrusted countries in the world.

Somehow being politically informed, diligent, and skeptical has been replaced by apathy through active ignorance.

Somehow the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country.

Somehow this is tolerated.

Somehow nobody is accountable for this.

In a democracy, the policy of the leaders is the policy of the people. So don’t be shocked when our grandkids bury much of this generation as traitors to the nation, to the world and to humanity. Most likely, they will come to know that “somehow” was nurtured by fear, insecurity and indifference, leaving the country vulnerable to unchecked, unchallenged parasites.

Luckily this country is still a democracy. People still have a voice. People still can take action. It can start after Pat’s birthday.

Brother and Friend of Pat Tillman,

Kevin Tillman

gravitylove

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray that someday soon, all truth will be known.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> Examine Old Memes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: