MemePolice Forum Index MemePolice
"Keeping Memes Honest"

Corporate Welfare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcanfield

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Corporate Welfare Reply with quote

Regarding your request for a Meme for those businesses that advocate a free market, but who receive government contracts, I think the term "Corporate Welfare" fits the bill. Halliburton has probably ripped off the government more than all of the "Welfare Queens" in history. (Did they ever find that eight billion dollars missing in Iraq?) Incidentally, regarding these faith-based charities that receive government funding, I think we should call them "Welfare Bishops." Ronald Reagan liked to rail against the "Welfare Queens". So, I think we should come up with a whole Chessboard for government hand-out cheats. For example, those businesses which receive overblown defense contracts could be "Welfare Rooks", since they "rook" the defense department with ridiculous overcharges. Those private contractors who have an exalted position working in Iraq could probably be called "Welfare Knights." Halliburton could probably be called the "Welfare King." Those who are down on their luck and get meager compensation are just the "Welfare Pawns", unless they are lucky enough to go all the way and turn into a "Welfare Queen." Check?

KimCooper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: another possibility Reply with quote

Another possibility is Economic Royalists, who are purveyers of Privileged Enterprise (as opposed to free enterprise). I did not come up with these terms -- they are from Franklin D. Rooseveldt.
Corporate Welfare is a good one -- it describes it quite well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MemePolice Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: